1. Eat smaller portions. You may be surprised at how little food can fill you up and hold you over until the next meal. Learn to listen to your body to tell you when to eat and when to stop eating.
2. Keep yourself busy. That gives you less time to sit down and munch on junk food. Fill your free time with productive tasks, activities and hobbies. I know that if I am alone for very long and turn on the TV, I then start and continue munching indefinitely.
3. Eat slowly. My husband is naturally good and this, and he usually ends up eating much less volume than the rest of us who eat fast.
4. Replace juice with fresh fruit. 100% juice is ok, but the best choice is the fruit itself. It is packed full of nutrition and fiber!
5. To eat your 5 servings of fruits/vegetables each day, plan them into your meals/snacks. For example, have 1 serving with breakfast, 1 for a morning snack, 2 servings with lunch, 1 with supper and 1 for an evening snack.
6. Cut out soda (even diet soda). Replace it with water!!!
Breakfast: cereal, skim milk, 1 large banana (counts as 2 fruit servings)
Lunch: Turkey on whole wheat with tomato/lettuce/cucumber
Supper: grilled chicken, whole wheat pasta with sauteed vegetables and marinara sauce