How many times per day do you reach down to the floor to pick up a light object? Consider how you do this reaching because it is quite frequent. And if you bend/twist your back every time, you are at high risk for back pain. So let’s consider a typical weekday and count up the necessary RTF’s (reach-to-floor’s).
1. Pick up the pillow on the floor that fell off during the night.
2. Reach under the bathroom sink for a towel.
3. Reach under the bathroom sink for another roll of toilet paper.
4. Reach down to wash your toes.
5. Reach down to dry your toes.
6. Reach into bottom drawer of your dresser.
7. Pick up your shoes from the floor.
8. Tie your shoes.
9. Pick up your cell phone that dropped out of your pocket.
10. Reach under the bathroom sink for your after-shave or makeup.
11. Pick up your socks that you threw on the floor.
12. Pick up your briefcase or computer bag.
13. Pick up Snoopy’s water bowl.
14. Replace Snoopy’s water bowl.
As you can see, the RTF’s add up, with 14 by 7AM! To be continued.