With Thanksgiving this week, the season of holiday weight gain is heavy upon us. So how can you avoid gaining weight until the new year arrives? This is especially important if you have been losing weight this past year or are working hard to maintain the weight loss you have achieved.
1. Use your holiday time off to do some additional exercise. Don’t just lounge before and after holiday meals but do some exercise or at least something active!
2. Limit your portions during larger holiday meals. Stick to 1 medium plateful and 1 small dessert.
3. Choose calories carefully. Be picky about which foods you really like and are willing to indulge on. Skip the others.
4. Limit your desserts. Try 1 slice of pie instead of 1 of each. Or have a small sliver of each, if you like to try the varieties.
5. Eat more vegetables and fewer carbs. And remember that veggies can taste good outside of casseroles and without bacon. They just need the right seasoning.
6. Stop eating when you are satisfied. Don’t eat again until you are hungry.
7. Be sure your between-meal snacks are small and healthy. Choose the fruit or veggie tray instead of the cheese/pepperoni/crackers.
8. Drink more water and fewer calorie-filled beverages.
9. Remember that a healthy lifestyle does not have to stop during the holidays. Maintain the same healthy habits that you have been practicing.
10. Shop in stores instead of online.
11. Don’t lie down if you can sit. Don’t sit if you can stand. Don’t stand if you can walk. Don’t walk if you can run. Remember that some people are unable to do these things and they would give anything to be able to walk or run again. Don’t take your mobility for granted.