|Photo: NOAA’s National Ocean Service|
1. Do push-ups when you first wake up. Take 10-20 seconds to jump start your morning and your metabolism!
2. Hold a squat position while you brush your teeth. Or do a set of squats.
3. Stand on one leg to put on your socks and shoes by holding a squat position and crossing one leg over the other knee (be sure your back is straight).
4. Do straight leg raises while doing hair, makeup or other grooming activities. Stand on one leg and kick the other leg forward, sideways or backwards, keeping the knee straight.
5. Squat several times while making the bed. It will strengthen your legs and help with your body mechanics.
6. Do knee extensions (kicks) while eating breakfast. Sit toward the back of your chair, with your thighs fully supported. Then extend one knee 10-15 times and repeat with the other leg.
7. Do back arches while driving to work. Change from slump sitting to overarching your back. Then relax back down to a neutral posture (back straight) and arch again. Repeat 15-30 times.
8. Roll your shoulders backwards while sitting at your desk. Repeat 20 times.
9. Raise up onto your toes (calf raises) while washing your hands. For a challenge, do this on one leg at a time.
10. Take a few minutes to do jumping jacks or mountain climbers while watching TV.
Exercise does not do itself. If you don’t make extra effort to exercise, it will simply disappear from your lifestyle. Whether you need to lose weight or not, exercise is critical for the health of your entire body. Ideally, it is recommended that adults exercise >30 minutes/day, 5-7x/week (or more for weight loss). But honestly, some individuals are too busy to do 30 straight minutes of exercise. If that person is you, the only way to exercise will be a few minutes at a time. Please add in comments if you have additional exercises to share.