These are some specific types of injuries that cause low back pain.
1. Falls. Falling can cause numerous injuries, from broken bones to torn muscles/tendons to internal bleeding and worse. So do whatever it takes to prevent falling.
2. Lifts. Lifting wrong is a major cause of low back pain. The heavier the object you are lifting, the higher the risk for injury. So be sure to lift the right way, whether you are lifting a 5-lb. or a 50-lb. object.
3. Housework. Doing housework can easily cause low back pain if you do it incorrectly. So be sure to check your body mechanics with every part of your housework.
4. Yardwork. Similar to housework, yardwork also needs to be performed with caution and with intentionally good technique. This is especially true when working with heavier equipment or with strenuous outdoor tasks.
5. Exercise. Exercise is so important for improved health, and I recommend it to all my patients. However, I have also treated many patients who injured their backs from exercising. So be sure to learn the proper exercise techniques. Then check your technique every time you do the exercise.
6. Sports. Some sports injuries are pure, unavoidable accidents. But many are preventable, with proper warm-ups, stretching, staying warm (ex: baseball), shoewear (ex: running), slowly working up to higher levels, and/or sports-specific strengthening.
Over the next few days I will talk more about these areas in greater detail. Stay tuned! You do not have to live with low back pain if you take the necessary steps to prevent it!