Two easy ways to decrease back/neck pain at work are to improve your posture and to change positions more often. So for those of you who sit at work most of the day, here are some legitimate excuses for getting away from your desk at least once every hour.
1. To go to the bathroom.
2. To get your morning coffee.
3. To refill your water bottle.
4. To get some fresh air.
5. To stand up and stretch (stand up and lean backwards at least 1-2 times).
6. To ask a coworker a question (instead of an email).
7. To walk around the building (it may be better not to do this every hour if you want to keep your job).
8. To rally up your lunch crew.
9. To simply rest your brain and eyes for a moment.
10. To talk on your cell phone briefly or to send a text (pending work regulations, of course).
If you have to sit most of the day at work, be sure to use low back support in your chair. If your work chair is not ergonomic, take the initiative to find or request a new one. Your back will thank you.