Knee trauma can be prevented with increased caution in these areas.
1. When you are standing up from a low surface, do so slowly.
2. Avoid standing up and turning at the same time.
3. Add leg stretching and strengthening to your exercise routine.
4. Be very careful getting on/off the floor.
5. Avoid leaning forward excessively if your knees are straight (example: reaching into the back seat of your car).
6. Do all that you can to prevent falling! Stairs and bathrooms are higher risk areas.
7. Be more cautious when you stand on step stools, chairs and ladders. Be cautious as you get up and down from those as well.
8. Do not stand on any surface that is questionable (ex: standing on a book shelf in order to install a curtain).
9. If you play sports, do specific exercises to prepare yourself. Warm up well before you start practicing or playing. Stay warm during your breaks (ex: baseball, football).
10. Listen to your body. If your knees start hurting when you are exercising, take a break from the painful exercise. Do not exercise through an injury because it will get worse.